Ayar Labs is commercializing breakthroughs in optical communications that will bring 10x improvements to data center communication bandwidths and energy efficiency by building optical systems in high-volume commercial CMOS chips. We are a small team that is motivated by a mission to get optics inside all electronics, replacing electricity with light, and bringing breakthrough improvements in performance and energy efficiency to computing. We will be growing quickly and we expect every member of our team to grow with us and to be comfortable with both hands-on engineering work and with leading a team or project.
Responsible for design, simulation, and characterization of high-speed active optical devices including depletion-mode microring modulators and resonant photodetectors with data rates of 25Gb/s and higher. You will be part of a small photonics design team in a dynamic startup environment, taking an active role in design reviews, contributing to product definition, proposing and evaluating technical solutions, developing compact models to interface with electrical circuits for electronic/photonic co-design and simulation, and validating fabricated devices against simulation and theoretical models. The ideal candidate is a hands-on self-starter who has solid fundamentals in high-speed integrated photonic design and characterization, is able to develop design specifications based on input from colleagues, customers, and industry, and can effectively manage his or her own time to take projects to completion with limited supervision and guidance.
- 5+ years of working/research experience in high-speed silicon photonics design (modulators, detectors, switches, etc.)
- Minimum M.S. in Electrical Engineering or Physics, Ph.D. preferred
- Experience designing in CMOS-like processes (silicon device layers, several choices of dopants, many metal layers, constrained to process feature sizes) at data rates of at least 10Gb/s
- Proficient with common electromagnetic simulation tools (FDTD, FEM, mode solvers) and semiconductor physics simulation tools (charge transport, heat transfer, time-domain simulations, optical-electrical co-simulation, etc.)
- Proficient with scripting simulations and some exposure to Unix environments
- Working knowledge and understanding of semiconductor physics in the context of photonic modulators and detectors
- Experience with high-speed characterization of optical devices (passive optical characterization, DC measurements, high-speed RF characterization, BER, link power budget analysis, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to find creative, out-of-the-box solutions to design challenges
- Enjoy being hands-on at all levels of design, with the ability to verify, test, and characterize own designs
- Good communication and presentation skills
To apply, please email your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: “Silicon Photonics Designer Application”