Ayar Labs is on a mission to get optics inside all electronics, replacing electricity with light, and bringing breakthrough improvements in performance and energy efficiency to computing. We are commercializing a breakthrough technology from MIT, UC Berkeley, and CU Boulder in which we have figured out how to get silicon chips, such as processors, memory, and ASICs, to communicate with light instead of electricity using established CMOS fabrication processes with no process changes. This alternative to copper interconnects brings unprecedented bandwidth and energy efficiency to computing.
Our small team is growing and we are looking for a Laser and III-V Photonic Integrated Device and Circuit Designer. You will be responsible for leading the development of our laser module PIC, a key piece of turning our technology breakthrough into a commercial product. Join us in changing the future of computing.
- Design of III-V PIC devices and circuits (laser diodes and SOA’s, AWGs, splitters, star-couplers, etc), including epitaxial structures and die layout, to achieve electro-optical performance that exceeds specifications (power, efficiency, yield, etc.)
- Specification and sourcing of sub-components and fabrication services
- Optical and electronic modeling/simulation of active and passive photonic integrated circuits
- Test, validate, and optimize laser module designs
- Collaborate with component and service suppliers to achieve product targets
- Perform a cost/benefit/risk analysis of purchasing vs. designing and building each component, and of assembling the module in-house vs. contracting the assembly
- Provide cost projections for future production scale-up
- Manage interactions with suppliers and contractors for the laser module
- You are passionate about creating machines that help solve some of humanity’s biggest problems, and/or making data centers more energy-efficient.
- You have an MS or PhD (preferred) in Physics, ME, EE, Optics or Lasers
- Experience in III-V PIC design
- Experience in Design of Experiments and statistical analysis
- Experience in optoelectronic device characterization and automated testing
- 5+ years of experience (preferred) building commercial laser products for applications in communications
To apply, please email your cover letter and CV to email@example.com, with the subject line: “Laser Designer Application”
Copyright Ayar Labs, Inc. | 848 Folsom St, Ste 102, San Francisco, CA 94107