Ayar Labs is commercializing breakthroughs in optical communications that will bring 10x improvements to data center communication bandwidths and energy efficiency by building optical systems in high-volume standard CMOS chips. We are a small team that is motivated by a mission to get optics inside all electronics, replacing electricity with light, and bringing breakthrough improvements in performance and energy efficiency to computing. We are growing quickly, and we expect every member of our team to grow with us and to be comfortable with both hands-on engineering work and with leading a team or project.
Responsible for automation of systems to attach fibers to our CMOS chips, incorporating state-of-the-art methods from both optical and electrical industry practices. You will work as part of a small manufacturing team in a dynamic startup environment, taking an active role in design reviews, contributing to product definition, proposing and evaluating technical solutions, writing design specifications and test requirement documents, etc. The ideal candidate is a hands-on self-starter who is able to develop design specifications based on input from colleagues, customers, and industry and who can effectively manage his or her own time to take projects to completion with limited supervision and guidance.
- Design hardware and software to assist in the automation of testing and assembly infrastructure
- Lead fiber-to-chip assembly process and design
- Lead development of R&D platform for fiber attach process, including hardware and software development, process development, and control
- Collaborate on PCBs, substrate design and layout
- Collaborate with suppliers and Outsourced Assembly and Test (OSAT) partners
- Collaborate on package qualification and reliability testing
- Provide cost projections for future production scale-up
- 2+ years of experience in automation engineering
- You have an BS or MS in ME, EE, Physics, Material Science, or related fields
- Experience in optoelectronic device characterization and automated testing
- Experience with automation strongly preferred, e.g. integration of instrumentation, motion control, software, etc.
- Expertise in programming (e.g. Python, Java, etc.), and instrument control. Knowledge of hardware interfaces (RS232, I2C, SPI, etc.) is also helpful.
- Experience with fiber optics a plus
- Experience with assembly processes, including but not limited to: flip-chip, underfill, die attach, surface mount technology, etc. a plus
- Experience in Design of Experiments and statistical analysis a plus
- Experience in 2.1D, 2.5D, or 3D assembly a plus
To apply please email your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: “Mechatronics Engineer”