TeraPHY™ Optical I/O Chiplet
The First Monolithic In-Package Optical I/O Chiplet
Unleash the Next Wave of Innovation with TeraPHY™ Optical I/O
TeraPHY™ optical I/O chiplets disrupt the traditional performance, cost, and efficiency curves of the semiconductor and computing industries. Combining silicon photonics with standard CMOS manufacturing processes, TeraPHY™ delivers up to 1000x bandwidth density improvements at 1/10th the power compared to electrical I/O.
This combination of performance and efficiency enables ASICS to communicate with each other across a wide range of distances, from millimeters up to two kilometers.
TeraPHY™ is unlocking the full promise of artificial intelligence and next-generation disaggregated system designs.
TeraPHY™: A High-density Electronic-Photonic Chiplet
The TeraPHY™ optical I/O chiplet is a small-footprint, low power, high-throughput alternative to copper backplane and pluggable optics communications. Combined with the Ayar Labs SuperNova multi-wavelength laser, TeraPHY™ drives tens of Tbps of bandwidth directly out of an ASIC/CPU/FPGA package. TeraPHY’s modular multiport design can carry eight light channels (the equivalent of an x8 PCIe gen5 link).
*Full roadmap and technical details available under NDA
TeraPHY™ ushers in an era of truly universal I/O – delivering terabit data rates from die-to-die and across data centers at only a fraction of the power for cost-effective, faster, and more flexible system designs.
- Parallel electrical interface
- Supports AIB and other proprietary parallel interfaces
- 8 full-duplex optical ports
- 8 WDM transceiver slices per optical port
- Configurable up to 256 Gb/s per port (2 Tb/s per chiplet)
- NRZ modulation format on the optical port — no Forward Error Correction (FEC) required
- Configurable crossbar to map electrical channels to optical ports
- Energy efficiency < 5 pJ/bit